Friday, January 4, 2013

Mini rainbow cupcakes!(:


These are by far the most awesome things I've made. It's like happiness in a bite sized cupcake. The only thing missing was frosting, but I chose to leave that out this time round because I had to transport these around.

I found a recipe with great reviews from the Australia/NZ version of allrecipes.com. Well, given that I had just gotten back from NZ, that made me just want to use this recipe. I really do miss Welly and all the amazing friends I've made there very much.

The only thing that bothered me was the difference in altitude. I've noticed that recipes don't quite turn out the same in New Zealand and back here in Singapore. Could be the climate, could be the ingredients. Idk. But I didn't want to risk a disastrously flat cupcake, so I modified it a little. Also, the original recipe calls for 4 bottles of food coloring, but yellow and blue makes green. So 3 will suffice.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1/2 cup (125g) caster sugar
  • 125g unsalted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup (125g) self-raising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 3 bottles food coloring: red, blue, yellow


* do note that if you do go the tiny bite sized cupcake route like I did, you will have to do this three times, which can be quite a hassle. Alternatively, this will make 12 normal sized cupcakes. The reason why I was reluctant to do this recipe is because of how much hassle it is! Most cupcake recipes have you mixing it all up in one big bowl. From there it is into the cupcake tray and then into the oven and you're done. But this recipe requires lots of bowls and lots more patience to slowly spoon the batter color by color so you'll get a nice rainbow. Look at how many bowls I used!



I think it was quite worth it though(: When they came out of the oven and tasted like little bits of bite sized happiness.


Aren't these tiny things just absolutely adorable?(:

No comments:

Post a Comment