Friday, January 4, 2013

Milo Cupcakes with Condensed Milk Frosting




This blog post is super duper delayed, for no reason other than that I like to procrastinate. So here it finally is: how to make yummy milo cupcakes with condensed milk cream cheese frosting.

I scoured the net, but couldn't find a recipe to my satisfaction. Thus I decided to create my own and my improvisation turned out pretty well. 



I particularly like this picture because you can see my dad in the background doing work relatedy thingys. So serious, as opposed to the fluffy happiness of the cupcakes.

Here is what you need for the cupcakes (yields 10-12):
Cupcakes
200g plain flour
50g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
200g Milo
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g sour cream
200g unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs

Frosting
100g butter
~200g icing sugar, sifted 

100g cream cheese5 tbsp sweetened condensed milk 

Just a note, the addition of sour cream made the cupcakes much more dense than expected. So be prepared for the batter not to rise! It came as a surprise to me. I think the next time I do milo cupcakes, I'll use my usual butter batter (say that five times fast) and experiment with that to get fluffier cupcakes.

Sift dry ingredients together, mix wet ingredients together and then marry them! After which, spoon batter into prepared muffin tray - by prepared I mean lined with muffin cups, but only if you want to of course - and then pop that into a preheated 175°C oven for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, or a toothpick comes out clean.

To make the frosting, beat the room temperature butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Slowly sift in icing sugar until desired consistency is reached. I usually go by trial and error. Adding more icing sugar/condensed milk according to whether I want it thicker or thinner in consistency. A neat tip to firm up the icing before piping it onto the cupcakes is to pop it in the fridge for a bit.

Lastly, I sifted some Milo powder on top of the icing, just because it looks pretty.

Credit for the cupcake recipe goes to Jaxe. Though unfortunately I don't think I'll ever make these again. Some of my friends loved it, but I found the cupcakes too dense for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment